The Albuquerque Museum Foundation seeks a fundraising professional with experience cultivating support for a mission-driven organization or cause to serve as our Development Manager. This role involves organizing and leading fundraising initiatives, managing the Patron Circle membership program, working closely with board directors, staff, and volunteers, and building relationships with major donors and prospects. This is an exceptional opportunity to partner with a committed staff and board to leverage the generosity of the community and significantly expand the major gift pipeline to grow support for the Albuquerque Museum. Responsibilities include:
Patron Circle Membership Program
• In coordination with department staff and board members, lead the Foundation’s efforts to recruit, retain, and engage Patron Circle members, who each contribute at least $1,000 annually.
• Work with President/CEO to establish a multi-year program roadmap.
• Provide regular program insights and analysis; report on revenue and retention metrics, tracked against annual goals.
• Manage the program benefits and user experience.
• Solicit regular feedback from members and identify ways to increase recruitment, improve engagement, and enhance offerings.
• Ensure alignment of all Foundation campaigns and programs with the program’s objectives.
• Collaborate in the planning and execution of all Patron Circle events.
• Lead the creation of all marketing collateral and messaging for the program, ensuring it is informative, innovative, inspirational to members, and fits our brand.
Major Gifts/Annual Fund
• Personally identify, maintain, and cultivate a portfolio of high-level prospects and donors capable of making major annual, capital, and planned gifts.
• Regularly meet with potential/prior donors and successfully solicit major gifts for the Foundation’s annual fund and programs.
• Participate in the creation of the annual fundraising plan to ensure appropriate cultivation and stewardship occurs for supporters at all levels.
• In partnership with the President/CEO and other development staff members, expand the organization’s prospect pipeline and wealth screening efforts.
• Build the agenda and lead the development staff’s bi-weekly “Prospects & Portfolios” meeting.
• Identify major prospects for cultivation and solicitation by the President/CEO and board members and support their efforts to obtain support.
• Assess sponsorship needs and opportunities at the Foundation and Museum.
• With the President/CEO, create an annual sponsorship strategy that fits within the overall fundraising plan and maximizes category revenues.
• Lead the creation of all sponsorship marketing materials and messaging.
• Meet regularly with potential/prior sponsors and successfully solicit sponsorships of $5,000 or more for the Foundation’s programs and Museum exhibits.
• Oversee the recruitment and implementation of sponsorships, including creation of proposals/contracts and the delivery of sponsor benefits and reports.
• Ensure exceptional communication with sponsors and the frictionless flow of program information among Museum and Foundation staff.
• Solicit feedback from current/prior sponsors and identify ways to improve retention and provide the ideal mix of sustainable benefits for the organization to deliver.
• Manage the Marketing Coordinator’s efforts to successfully solicit and implement sponsorships up to $5,000, as well as all levels of media and in-kind sponsorships.
• Attend Board meetings and Development Committee meetings, providing staff support and guidance, delivering reports as needed.
• Serve as a public face of the Foundation, actively engaging in the Albuquerque community.
• Assist at special Museum and Foundation events on weekends and evenings, as assigned.
• Serve as initial point of contact for the Foundation’s planned giving program (aM Society) and manage the program’s implementation, benefits, and collateral.
• Provide regular and annual reports of activities as requested.
• Other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.
The single most important qualification for this job is that you need to be a development professional with a track record raising funds for a non-profit organization. What does that mean?
• You have experience asking for and securing contributions for a mission-driven organization.
• You’re NOT an accidental fundraiser or someone who job hops.
• You’ve sat across from potential supporters, and successfully connected their passions and interests to a program or cause, securing four-, five-, and (in a perfect world) six-figure gifts in the process.
• You’re an exceptional networker, a people person at heart, someone with iron-clad ethics and a genuine passion for donor-centered fundraising.
• You work well as a part of a team, are deeply driven to achieve your personal goals, and love to make a difference through the organization you serve.
• You’re comfortable with donor management and wealth screening software and systems, and willing to hone your skills through webinars and other training materials. (We use Raiser’s Edge NXT and Donor Search. Bonus points if you have too.)
• When we talk about philanthropic trends, strategies, and techniques… and best practices for DEI… you don’t have to Google anything to catch up.
• You already have impeccable writing, public speaking, presenting, and organizational skills.
Beyond that, here are our like-to-haves:
• Because we’re in New Mexico, we’d really love for you to have fundraising experience in our neck of the woods, with lots of local knowledge.
• You’ve worked with a board of directors, helping them to make transformative contributions and be effective advocates for an organization.
• We’d like you to have your bachelor’s degree, but it’s not a deal-breaker.
• A bilingual background (Spanish preferred) is a definite plus.
• Experience with major gifts, grant writing, capital campaigns, as well as high-level philanthropic events, would be lovely.
• An ability to translate strategic goals into specific tasks would be helpful… as would previous supervisory experience.
Compensation & Benefits
The Foundation will provide a competitive annual salary of up to $50,000 to a well-qualified candidate, based on experience. Benefits include:
• SIMPLE IRA with an employer match
• Medical insurance with United Healthcare
• Dental insurance with Delta Dental
• Flexible Spending Account for unreimbursed medical expenses and dependent childcare expenses
• Paid sick leave of (6) six days per year
• Paid personal time of (13) thirteen days per year, (18) eighteen days per year after (1) one year of employment
The Albuquerque Museum Foundation is an independent, nonprofit corporation that provides funding to further the cultural, historical, and educational programs and exhibitions at the Albuquerque Museum, which is a division of the City of Albuquerque Cultural Services Department. The museum serves as Albuquerque’s cultural center and a leading institution for art, history, and culture in the region. With its mix of highly esteemed permanent collections, world-class special exhibitions, events, educational programming, the Slate at the Museum Café, and the museum store, the museum offers a special place for visitors to gather, explore, and learn.
The Foundation’s FY23 operating budget is $2.3 million. Contributed income was $1.1 million in FY22, and as of July 2022, the endowment was $13.3 million.
Due to the responsibilities of this role – including the frequent need to meet with supporters at locations throughout the city and region – the successful candidate must be willing to work in-person full-time and have access to reliable transportation to get around the community on their own for work obligations. This position requires flexible working hours including evenings and weekends on occasion, as well as the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment and spirit of cooperation among colleagues.
The Foundation champions five key values, embodying them in everything we do: Integrity, Diversity & Inclusion, Stewardship, Communication, and Respect.
If you think you fit the bill for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com by August 15, 2022.